Friday, March 27, 2015

Back To The Music Department

#SOL15

For the past two days I have had the pleasure of covering chorus classes for a friend of mine. I truly had the best time. The two chorus classes were 6th and 7th graders, and I have to say, I am so impressed with them! They sounded wonderful! It made me miss my days at GFMS singing in chorus or playing flute in the band. They harmonize together, use hand signals determining notes and pitch (something I wish I learned back in school!), and really just sound professional. It moved me so much, that I actually researched to see if there are any choirs for adults around our area. THERE IS! Unfortunately, my plate is full almost every night with work, tutoring, or my writing group. I can't spare another night out of the house during the week.

Maybe some day in the future I can pick up my passion for singing again. Right now, I'm pretty happy being able to follow my writing passion, so that's good enough for me. I still have the vocal warm ups and songs of the past few days stuck in my head. I'm sure I'll continue singing them around the house all weekend. Fine by me. I'll even belt out a couple notes in the shower or sing to my daughter. ;-) It may not be the choir I'm looking for, but it'll do for now.

**The link I share below is NOT the choral group from my school. The song Ah, Poor Bird is a warm up they do, and it has been stuck in my head for two days. It's beautiful, and I just want you to hear it. Enjoy!**

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to compliment a teacher! It's pretty neat when we step into each other' shoes for a day and see a glimpse of what they do! I often hear HS teachers (and politicians, and non teachers) refer to kindergarten teachers as having it easy! Some think the real work begins in MS. I catch myself at times thinking someone with 2 preps a day lives a life of luxury (my only prep is at the end of the day during the dismissal time). Yet to be honest, if we are doing our job, we are working hard and always trying to do more and do it better. We are always learning and growing. I love that you publicly complimented a peer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think teachers, no mater what the grade level, are hard workers. Yes, 2 preps a day is a luxury most of the time. I felt like you on most days when I'd work right through them.
      I loved being in the chorus room to see what they've been learning. It's days later and I'm still impressed. :-)

      Delete
  2. Inspiring! Your time with the choirs sounds wonderful. Glad you had a fun time subbing, a blessing from the kids and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was a great time. Thanks for reading!

      Delete