Thursday, March 12, 2015

Bird Is The Word. So Is Turkey

#SOL15


"How are you today?" I text my friend.
"Rough start to my morning," she text back.
"Why what happened?" 
"Nothing major, but on my way to work a bird flew into my windshield and it just made me really sad," replied the animal lover.

I had this exact conversation with a friend this morning via text message. I felt badly because no one wants to start their morning by hitting an animal, no matter how small. I wanted to cheer her up, so I told her something that happened to me several years ago. Back then it was traumatizing, but now I can actually laugh about it. Here's my story:

Years ago when I lived with my parents, I was driving home on a windy back road. Out of the corner of my eye I see a turkey standing on the side of the road. Just standing there. I tapped my brake just in case it decided to move. He turned (yes, it was a male ;-) ) and walked into the woods behind him. I took my foot off of the brake. Suddenly, he does an about-face and darts out into the road and right in front of my car! I barely have time to even find the brake again when THUMP! I hit this turkey dead on and feathers are flying everywhere. (Seriously. I can't make this stuff up.) It hits the front of my car, bounces up onto the hood of my SUV, and then goes flying over the top of the car! I look in the rearview mirror just in time to see it hit the ground behind me. 

I gasp and cannot believe what just happened. I drive a little further, but then feel obligated to go back and check on the turkey. I pull over and then head back in the direction of the turkey. I don't see it in the road, but then I notice it on the opposite side of the street. It's not moving. Ugh. Great. I'm still reeling from everything that happened, so I pick up the phone to call someone. I call my younger sister who happens to be at work. I tell her the story and wait for her reaction. These are her exact words. I'll never forget them.

"Theresa! You killed a turkey?! On EARTH DAY?!"

HAHA! I had no idea it was Earth Day, but my sister, the animal-loving-outdoor-nature-girl, knew it was Earth Day! I do feel bad I hit an innocent animal, but we ended up laughing hysterically at the way she said those words. I always think of this story as I'm driving on that road, or when Earth Day rolls around. I'm glad my anecdote was able to cheer up a friend and make her laugh. :-)

4 comments:

  1. It sounds extremely upsetting. I am glad you were able to comfort your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was upsetting (for both of us at the time), but I'm glad I could make her laugh. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I've seen lots and lots of turkeys on the road and even had a flock land on the driveway delaying my departure; however, I've never hit one. Now, if you want to talk about deer.....I can replay this whole story.....might just do that for SO as I am low on ideas today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to give you some inspiration! I swear, the whole situation was like a Benny Hill skit. Just bizarre! Thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete