Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What's The Attraction?

#SOL15


I'll never understand the "duck face" picture. I don't even know if I'm writing it correctly. Hmmmm... duck face. Duckface. The world may never know. Do you?

As I was leaving work today, I stopped by the main office to drop something off. I noticed two girls sitting in chairs by the door when I walked in. They looked to be in maybe 6th or 7th grade. I figured they were waiting for someone. I dropped off my item and walked back towards the door. I noticed one of the girls had taken out her cell phone. The girl and her friend got close to each other, both made "duck faces", and snapped a picture. I smiled but thought to myself, I will never understand that pose. Why pucker your lips and make such a bizarre face? Maybe it's my age. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud. I don't know. I just don't think there's anything attractive about making a face like that. (Not to mention, what is a 6th grader doing with a phone?? I got my first cell phone at 21! But that's a completely different post.)

I walk towards the parking lot and begin to head to my car. Right there, parked at the curb directly outside the building, another girl roughly about 16 or 17 was doing the same. exact. thing. She's sitting in the drivers seat with her camera phone pointed at her, making the same exact face! She had no shame in posing and shifting around to get the perfect angle, all while making the lovely "duck face." Sigh. I guess I just don't understand it. I'm sure it's a social media thing, and this is now the norm. This is the age of the "selfie." It didn't bother her that people were coming in and out of the building, walking right next to her car. 

Who's to say what the next social media trend will be. I'm hoping at some point we can move way beyond the "duck face." 
  
                            


7 comments:

  1. You have taught me something. I had no idea it was called a duckface. I always thought they were trying to make a kissing face. Just goes to show how little I know. I'm fascinated by how fast a generation gap is created. I am 37 and I am definitely from a different generation. Today we were talking about obsolete items and when I asked students how many knew what a cassette was only a couple raised their hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Marie, I hear you! I'm 36 and there is a HUGE age gap here. I was explaining a Walkman and a Discman the other day. I get surprised by something new everyday. :-)

      Delete
  2. You have taught me something. I had no idea it was called a duckface. I always thought they were trying to make a kissing face. Just goes to show how little I know. I'm fascinated by how fast a generation gap is created. I am 37 and I am definitely from a different generation. Today we were talking about obsolete items and when I asked students how many knew what a cassette was only a couple raised their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the dreaded duckface! I wonder if my teen nieces will look back at their duckface pictures and think "what was I thinking?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what Anyone is thinking with those faces. :-) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Now I've learned something today! I too thought it was a "sending a kiss" kind-of-look. Now I feel REALLY OLD....LIKE NOT JUST CREAKY BONES TIRED THINK OF RETIREMENT kind-of-old...I feel like I did the day I found out LOL did not mean Lots of Love....sigh...OLD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not old! My students have to tell me what half of these faces and abbreviations mean. I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. :-)

      Delete