Monday, March 30, 2015

Why I Love What I Do

#SOL15

I love when a student comes up to me and expresses their love for writing or reading. It makes me feel really good about my job, and it also opens up a dialogue with the student about something I'm passionate about. 

Today we had school because we had to make up a snow day. I am officially on Spring Break, even though it doesn't feel like it yet! Despite the excitement of vacation in the air, the kids were really good today; more focused than I would've imagined. At the end of second period today, one of the students approached me.

"Mrs. Narvesen, I was wondering if you'd like to read the short story I've been working on?"

"Really? Of course!" I replied. 

"It's here in the notebook. Sorry, but it's kind of long. I've really been working on it. When I come back 4th period I'll bring you the artwork that goes with it."

My mouth dropped. This was awesome! I love that he wanted me to read his piece, and I love that he trusted me enough to see the unfinished product plus the art. I felt really touched that he asked me to read his story. He could have asked any of his teachers. Was it because we always talk about all my favorite authors? (Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King) Was it because we always talk about how much I love writing and how I write daily? I don't know what it was, but what I do know, is that this meant something to me. It was an amazing feeling to be trusted with something as personal as someone's creative writing. (And did I mention, they were doing this all for fun?! It's not a class project or an assignment. They're writing and drawing because they love to. Wild!)

I started reading right after he gave it to me. I read it straight through my free period. His story turned out to be 13 pages long. Quite a large feat for a 7th grader! I was impressed! I gave it back to him when he returned. I told him everything I loved about it, and I told him I would love to read the final product. He even showed me the monster drawing that goes with the story, and I have to say, that was also truly amazing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. There are some great students in the building where I teach. I'm so fortunate to know a lot of them. It's days like this that reaffirm why I chose my profession and why being passionate about reading and writing is such a huge part of my life. I hope this boy continues his passion and runs with it. The encouragement of teachers and people in his life will make him the amazing writer he aspires to be.

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure - both of you. Him for his story, you for being the teacher he wanted to share it with.

    ReplyDelete