Friday, March 6, 2015

Little People, Big Hearts

#SOL15


The other day I subbed in a 5th grade classroom. This was new territory for me because I'm always in the 7th and 8th grade hallway. I have to say, there is such a difference between the grade levels. I tend to believe kids mature a lot throughout the year and over summer vacation. I see students as they get older, but it's rare for me to see the younger crowds.

On this particular day, two 5th grade girls walked into the classroom. They were holding a small Tupperware bin with the room number and teacher written on top. One girl explained to me that this classroom had currently raised over $400 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma fundraiser. The box was to go back in the room to see if any more money could be collected. I silenced the class to allow the girls to present the students with this announcement. 

When the kids heard the news, they cheered. I allowed them to applaud and be overjoyed at their accomplishment. I smiled and clapped as well. The girls left the box on the teacher's desk and exited to go to the next classroom. Two boys quietly approached the Tupperware and stuck their hands in their pockets. The first boy dropped a few singles inside while the other tucked in a $5 bill. I looked on in awe.

"Did you boys bring this money from home, or did you have it in your pocket?" I asked.
"I got it from home," said the first boy.
"I just took some money from my wallet," the other boy told me. They walked back to their seats, and I just stood there staring after them.

Such a generous, touching moment I am happy I got to be a part of. I know it seems as if what happened was nothing, but it speaks volumes about these boys. Cute little 5th graders donating their well deserved money. You don't see that everyday. I'd be curious to know the grand total in the classroom this time around if everyone continues to be as giving as the two boys. 

5 comments:

  1. Kids are so generous! I like how you used quotes within the piece - that always makes it more real for me for some reason. So glad you got to witness the wonders of children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! It was a great moment to observe. Such good little boys. :-)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful moment of generosity. The part that makes it so neat is that they did it NOT so the girls could see them being generous (more of an 8th grade thing) but because they wanted to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful moment of generosity. The part that makes it so neat is that they did it NOT so the girls could see them being generous (more of an 8th grade thing) but because they wanted to give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Doing it on their own free will! I love that about this story. I'm curious to know if anyone else has donated since. I'll try and get an update.

      Delete