Friday, March 20, 2015

To Purge Or Not To Purge: Volume 2

#SOL15

It's very rare to have a Friday to myself where I can get stuff done. I mean, REALLY get stuff done; not just do some dishes, load the dishwasher, and do some laundry. Like I said in my previous post, I have been wanting to live a life free of clutter for a very long time. Having an 18 month old does not afford me this luxury. ;-) Today I started on my mission for a life with less...stuff.

My problem is that I don't know how to start small. I don't know how to start with just one area. I will think of a million different thing and go from room to room trying to get organized. I decided I wanted to focus on one room at a time, and possibly on one small section. I started today with my bathroom. I had the sudden urge to go through all my "products" and see what I have. Can you believe I have so many beauty products that I barely know what's there? 

I had to eat a good lunch and give myself energy in order to complete this task. haha. I'm not kidding. I didn't want to get tired, or give up, or go watch some bad TV. I had a task to accomplish. And man, did I accomplish it! I went into my cabinet under my sink and pulled out a whole bucket of beauty products. I had an idea of what was in there, but I didn't! Every hair care product to make my hair straight, smoothing cream to take out the frizz, gels and mousse to make my hair curly, hair spray, dry shampoo. The list goes on. It was freeing to throw away things I know I won't use anymore. I don't know why I don't do that more often. I got rid of all the make-up I swore I'd wear at some point. (I have no idea what I was thinking about some of those colors!) So, long story short, I have a very small bag of make-up that I know I use daily, and I have an organized cabinet of hair products that is easily accessible. 

I know this really seems like nothing, but in my world, I always need stuff. I have a hard time throwing things out. Especially if it hasn't been used but I just have no need for it. I'm hoping to move on to the kitchen tomorrow. That will be a hard room to deal with. I love cooking, and I love all my cooking gadgets. It will be hard to determine what to get rid of. Can you tell I'm stressing already? Sigh. Stay tuned for that life changer! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Always trying to do this myself. I love that you kept yourself focused on one small area and succeeded. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My New Year Goal was one closet or drawer a week for the year! I did well through January but then lost my focus. Reading your post makes me Think I Can, Think I Can....Good lulck today! ;.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My New Year Goal was one closet or drawer a week for the year! I did well through January but then lost my focus. Reading your post makes me Think I Can, Think I Can....Good lulck today! ;.

    ReplyDelete