Saturday, March 7, 2015

What My Mother Went Through

#SOL15



"Some. Some." 

This is what my daughter says to my husband and I when she wants "some" of our food. It doesn't matter if she's never eaten this type of food or not, she just wants "some." 

It started one day while I was eating a peanut butter sandwich. She came over and stuck her little finger in between the bread and right into the peanut butter. After licking her fingers, she decided she wanted more, and she ate half my lunch. Then it was a bowl of Kix with lowfat milk. She stood at my knees as I ate a bite, and then she'd hold her mouth opening waiting for her bite. I could go on and on. She's willing to try it all. This just means that I usually end up splitting half of whatever I have with her. Today she ate all of the ham out of a protein snack I had been eating. I didn't mind because I had eaten two pieces, so I let her eat the rest. That's just what moms do, right?

It must be. I know this because my mother did the same exact thing for us. And there were 4 of us. Every time she made herself something to eat, we all wanted it. Between the 3 or 4 of us, she had nothing left when we were done. I always remember her taking us out to dinner when we were younger, and she always ordered this seafood salad pita. As soon as the plate hit the table we always asked her if we could have some, or we would reach over with our forks and snag a piece. There was barely anything left for her by the time we were done "tasting." 

I don't remember my mom ever telling us to stop or even denying us a taste. She just let us do it. Why? I'm not sure. Because she's our mom? Maybe. Probably for the same reason I let my daughter always eat my food. It's what she wants and it makes her happy. I don't even mind. (And anyone who knows me knows I looooove my food and I'm very protective of my meals.) :-) Giving up food seems like something so trivial in the life of a parent, and it probably is. To me, it just proves that it doesn't matter what it is or what I have to do, I'll do anything for my little girl. I don't even think about it. I just do it as if I'm on autopilot. I'm thinking this is exactly what my mother went through.

2 comments:

  1. It suspect it is some little circuit in a mommy's brain that turns on during the first or second hour of gestation and remains on forever. Your mom would still do anything for you and the other 3 of her kids. Your mom would still do anything for your little miracle. Of this, I am 100% sure!

    ReplyDelete